As I mentioned earlier, recently I have acquired an AP9631 Network Management Card (NMC) and after factory resetting it, I’ve decided to upgrade to the latest firmware available. Here is how:
- Find a Windows machine as APC doesn’t support Linux, MacOS or other platforms for upgrades
- Factory reset is an optional step, but I needed it because I didn’t have access to my UPS
- Download the latest firmware for your NMC which is compatible with your UPS. I didn’t know about this last part and flashed the wrong firmware the first time.
- Visit APC AP9631 product page and scroll to the “Software and Firmware” section
- For Smart-UPS, choose something like Network Management Card v6.9.4 Firmware Executable for Smart-UPS with AP9630/31 (Version 6.9.4)
- For Symmetra, choose something like Network Management Card v6.9.4 Firmware Executable for Symmetra with AP9630/31 (Version 6.9.4)
- Extract the zip file and run the executable within
- A dialog will be displayed and you should fill it as below:
- Host: Your APC IP
- Protocol: FTP
- Port: 21
- Username: apc
- Password: apc
- Languages: Your choice, I picked English (No language support)
- Backup log files prior to update: Checked
- Click on Start Upgrade and you should see several messages in the status panel. At the end of the process, you will receive a message informing upgrade was successful!
- Access the new UI through your browser
- Try either https://your_ups_ip or http://your_ip_ups
That is, hopefully your are good to go!